How and on what can a peach be planted?
Vaccination of cultivated trees is an integral part of their cultivation. Today, the article details the peach vaccine, the reasons for its implementation, the advantages and technology of the process.
Do I need to instill a peach, purpose and benefits of the procedure
Peach is a southern culture that requires heat for normal development. In order to be able to grow a tree in the middle lane or in an even colder climate, gardeners apply grafting. This is a kind of crossbreeding with varieties that are resistant to low temperatures. Resistance to drought, insect infestation or disease can also be instilled from another tree.If the site is small, but you want to grow several varieties with different tastes, the vaccination will help out here. The procedure will help to preserve a rare variety, if there is a tendency to its degeneration. A good scion will improve the taste and size of the fruit, the amount of yield.
Did you know? “Peach state” is called Georgia, USA, since the bulk of the fruit from the total number of the country is produced here.
So, such advantages of a gardening reception are obvious:
- increased stamina culture;
- preservation of varietal characteristics;
- resumption of fruiting;
- improving the quality and quantity of the crop;
- breeding and breeding of new varieties.
Methods and timing of vaccination in summer and spring
Vaccination or tinting, as the procedure is also called, has up to 150 different methods.
For peach, several of them are used:
Coloring is carried out at positive temperature, in spring the air should warm up to + 8 ° C (March, April). Spring vaccination is good because after the start of the movement of juices, the wounds heal faster.
Important! Splitting in a split can save an unsuccessful previous procedure if the stock was badly damaged.
In summer, the procedure can be performed at the beginning of the season (in June) and in the middle of summer — July 10–30. Autumn for vaccination is suitable only in regions with long summers, since early frosts can interfere with the healing process.
What trees can I plant a peach on?
Half of the vaccination success depends on which rootstock is chosen for the peach. According to the rules of coloration, plants with similar biological and morphological characteristics are combined.
With the help of varietal stock, you can increase the amount of yield, to achieve larger fruits. Varietal peach cuttings will convey their taste.
If you use a peach wild game, you can achieve:
- increase frost resistance and drought tolerance;
- strengthen the defenses of culture;
- extension of fruiting periods.
A semi-wild cherry plum is the best choice on saline and moist lands. This culture, among other things, perfectly resists diseases and insect attacks, it is not capricious in care and resistant to bad weather conditions.After vaccination, the peach gives a good harvest, the tree does not seek to "gain height", but increases the basal shoots. This is perhaps the only drawback that is easily fixed by cropping.
Cherry as a stock will give the peach fruits juiciness, reduce the growth of the tree up. The culture will bear fruit abundantly, so the branches will need good support. There is an opinion that a peach grafted onto cherries is more often ill and this will require constant prevention from the gardener.
Did you know? In Japan, there is a belief: if sakura blooms profusely, then the rice crop will be good.
When choosing a cherry tree, you need to consider that only two types of it are suitable for tinting: felt and sand.
One of the quick and easy options for attaching a crop is the graft grafting method.
- A healthy stalk is cut to a length of 15 cm.
- On the rootstock trunk make a straight cut at a distance of 30-40 cm from the soil surface.
- The edge of the slice is wrapped tightly with adhesive tape along the bark of the trunk, but the slice remains open for now.
- On one side of the trunk, an incision is made between the wood and the bark with a sharp garden knife.
- Cuttings are cut off on one side, forming a sharp flat wedge, 1.5–2 cm long. The bark from the back of the wedge is also cut.
- Above the notch on the stock made earlier, the scion is installed vertically and gently driven into the notch slot.
- The same manipulation is carried out again, opposite the first scion-scion.
- Slices and the trunk of both cuttings are treated with a prepared garden var.
Video: Peach Inoculation
Tips for beginner gardeners
Before starting experiments in the garden, a beginner in crop production should familiarize himself with the main questions: when, with what culture, and how to plant in one case or another.
Important! Peach is a very gentle culture, before embarking on its vaccination, it is better «fill your hand» on other plants. Unsuccessful coloration of the tree is problematic, and the plant can be destroyed.
Recommendations of experienced gardeners:
- Be sure to check out the list of peach-related crops to choose the right rootstock compatible with the tree. In addition to the crops described above, in different conditions they also use apricot, plum, almond tree.
- The rootstock variety is selected, focusing on the timing of flowering of both vaccine participants, the timing of fruit ripening.
- A large role is played by weather conditions at the time of the vaccination procedure: the air must be warmed up, the day is clear and sunny.
- When selecting cuttings, copies should be taken no older than 2 years.
- The age of the tree on which the stem is grafted is not older than 10 years.
- Tools should be sharp. There are special knives called budding knives. Before work, cutting surfaces are sanitized.
- To process the slices, a putty is prepared - a garden var, the processing of which will not allow the infection to penetrate into the open wound.